What I did the last days (Apr. 4 '17)
One thing first: through elaborate sarcasm people often express serious, heartfelt concerns - and I always pay attention to that. So: no I am not burning through your patreon donations by travelling and moving. I am, in fact, using a combination of living quite frugally (just loving my new 4m x 4m flat) and pulling tricks like slipping in a conference visit for my 1-day-per-week employer into a country move (who says a business trip has to start and end at the same location?). All of this does take time, but: I will stay in Germany for quite a while now. And: most of this chaos is still somewhat due to realizing the hard way that Iceland is not a good place to live and GTFOing out of there earlier than planned.
Regarding what I did:
- The code of the activity network, applied to a tiny rural-village-scenario is starting to come together.
- I really tried to get something running as soon as possible, without spending a lot of time on implementing lots of details or making the architecture nice.
- I'm glad that I did, because it allows me to "fail fast", i.e. getting the chance to evaluate my assumptions as early as possible.
- My first focus is of course performance, to find out if my plans are feasible, or what I need to change in my approach to make them more feasible.
- Right now, it's still hard to tell how much too slow my naive first implementation is, but it is already very clear where the CPU has to spend too much work.
- One nice detail about my approach is that it is very introspectable, i.e. it is easy to look at what it is doing, what is going wrong, where which decision is taken.
That's all, I hope I'll have more to tell tomorrow!